Loading...

Entrance hall

Entrance hall

The large entrance hall, with a wooden-beam ceiling, elegantly painted, is what remains of the palace' s oldest factory. A large frieze with frescos painted on the wall shows sixteen facts relating to the history and the members of the Oddi family; the historical pictures are separated from each other by the nine Muses, by Apollo and the three theological virtues. The short sides of the hall depict two coats of arms: the one represents the Dukes of Urbino, (Marches), perhaps that of Federico Ubaldo della Rovere, who had been married to Claudia de' Medici since 1621, and the other represents a cardinal, probably Carlo, belonging to the Medici family. These coats of arms are the result of the relation with the Medici family following the marriage between Angelo degli Oddi and the Florentine Margherita Soderini that took place at the beginning of the Seventeenth century. We know that frescos had already existed in 1619 when it was necessary to restore a small area damaged by the fitting of the fireplace in sandstone that is still existent.

The frescos, painted after 1615, have been assigned in different ways, but the more certain attribution, supported by the same Francesco Santi, is that of Silla Piccinini with the help of Pietro Roncanelli.

Close